What Does A Rehabilitation Nurse in Pain Management Do?
Rehabilitation nurses play a critical role in assessing and managing acute and chronic pain. In this role, the rehabilitation nurse
- Serves as a coordinator of care and a patient advocate to facilitate a self-management plan
- Provides pain management information and educates patients and families to promote wellness, in order to improve functional abilities
- Has a clinical understanding of physiology, 病理生理学, 社会心理因素, and uses pharmacological and non-pharmacologic methods to prevent, 识别, 和减轻疼痛
- May pursue additional education and certification in areas of pain management. Specialized advanced pract冰 nursing roles in pain management can influence and educate best pract冰s for rehabilitation nurses.
Definition of Pain Management for Rehabilitation Populations
疼痛的定义(默斯基, 1979) adopted in 1986 by the International Association for the Study of Pain is ''an unpleasant sensory or emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage." Pain is also "what the patient defines it to be" (McCaffrey, 1979). The rehabilitation nurse's role is to respond to those affected by pain with appropriate patient-centered interventions and compassion.
Establishing Goals for Pain Management
The goal of pain management for rehabilitation patients is to maximize the level of functioning and the quality of living. Roles and functions of the pain management rehabilitation nurse.
As pain addressed in settings throughout the continuum of care, rehabilitation nurses may play a role in pain management in any health care setting.
Competencies of a Rehabilitation Nurse in Pain Management
- Determine origin and type of pain (orthopedic, neurologic, surgical, musculoskeletal, 等.)
- Uses evidenced-based guidelines and standards for pain management in rehabilitation patient populations
- Appropriately administer pharmacologics by selecting appropriate analgesics and effective dosage schedules
- Implement noninvasive pain management modalities (massage, 冰, 热, 定位, 压力或振动, 等.)
- Implement holistic and homeopathic pain management strategies when appropriate (deep breathing, 放松, 分心和图像, 音乐和宠物治疗, 针灸, 和芳香疗法, 等.)
- Trend the patient's pain levels and responses to pain interventions – verbal and nonverbal reactions to pain management strategies
- Establish rapport with patient to observe non-verbal and verbal pain cues
- Assist the patient to establish an acceptable pain goal to enable maximal function
- Coach the patient to effectively cope with the negative effects of pain
- Address the 家庭's role in managing a patient's pain in the home environment
- Educate the patient and 家庭 on safe use of pharmaceuticals for pain management (e.g. side effects and management of constipation for opioid use)
- Provide recommendations for community reintegration activities, which may include return to work
- Coordinate the follow up plan to optimize the patient's care transition
- Offer resources for specialized pain management support serv冰s in the community
领导 & Interprofessional保健
- 与病人合作, 家庭, and interprofessional team to establish patient-centered pain management goals
- Coordinate the plan of care to address barriers of pain and optimize patient carryover of learning from other disciplines (therapy, 营养, 呼吸, 等.)
- Anticipate pain control needs to maximize therapy activities (e.g. premedicate for therapy or wound care; 冰 or 热 post-therapy)
- Advocate for the revision to the pain management plan if pain is not appropriately controlled
Association of Rehabilitation Nurses (2014). 皇冠6686会员登录 胜任力模型 for Professional Rehabilitation Nursing. 芝加哥,.
Association of Rehabilitation Nurses (2014). 标准 & Scope of Rehabilitation Nursing Pract冰, (6th ed.). 芝加哥,.
McCaffery, M. (1979). Nursing management of the patient with pain (2nd ed.)、Lippincott威廉姆斯 & Wikins.
Merskey H. (1979). Pain terms: a list with definitions and notes on usage. 疼痛杂志- Iss6. (pp. 249-252).
Monsivais D.B. (2011). 急性和慢性疼痛. 在C语言中.S. Jacelon (Eds.). The Specialty Pract冰 of Rehabilitation Nursing: A Core Curriculum. (Ch. 15. pp. 383-396) Glenview, IL: Association of Rehabilitation Nurses.
Nursing Association [and] American Society for Pain Management Nursing (2005). Pain Management Nursing: Scope and 标准 of Pract冰. 银泉医学博士:美国人.
This role description was originally developed by the Pain Special Interest Group of the Association of Rehabilitation Nurses in 2002. Subsequent revisions were made in 2011, 2015.